Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, School of Medicine
2021 October –
6330 Medical Biomolecular Research Building
111 Mason Farm Rd., Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Education and training
Ph.D. Neuroscience, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, 8/2014-4/2021
M.Sc. Neuroscience, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, 8/2014-4/2016
Fulbright Research Scholar, University of Bio Bio, Chillan, Chile, 3/2013-12/2013
B.Sc. Neuroscience, Minor in Hispanic Studies, Trinity College, Hartford, CT, 9/2008-5/2012
- Gentile GM#, Gamarra J#, Engels N#, Blue RE#, Hoerr I, Wiedner HJ, Hinkle ER, Cote JL, Leverence E, Mills A, Herring L, Tan X, Giudice J. (2022). The synaptosome-associated protein 23 (SNAP23) is necessary for proper myogenesis. FASEB Journal. In press. # co-first authors.
- Cote JL, Vander PB, Ellis M, Cline JM, Svezhova N, Doche ME, Maures TJ, Choudhury TA, Kong S, Klaft OGJ, Joe RM, Argetsinger LS, Carter-Su C. (2022). The nucleolar delta isoform of adapter protein SH2B1 enhances morphological complexity and function of cultured neurons. Journal of Cell Science. jcs.259179.
- Cote JL, Argetsinger LS, Flores A, Rupp AC, Cline J, DeSantis LC, Bedard AH, Bagchi DP, Vander PB, Cacciaglia AM, Clutter ES, Chandrashekar G, MacDougald OM, Myers Jr MG, Carter-Su C. (2021). Deletion of the brain-specific alpha and delta isoforms of adapter protein SH2B1 protects mice from obesity. Diabetes. 70 (2): 400-414.
- Torsoni MA, Borges BC, Cote JL, Allen SJ, Mahany E, Garcia-Galiano D, Elias CF. (2016). AMPKa2 in Kiss1 neurons is required for reproductive adaptations to acute metabolic challenges in adult female mice. Endocrinology. 157: 4803-4816.
- Balbontin C, Ayala H, Rubilar J, Cote JL, Figueroa CR. (2014). Transcriptional analysis of cell wall and cuticle related genes during fruit development of two sweet cherry cultivars with contrasting levels of cracking tolerance. Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research. 74: 162-169.
- Ruskin DN, Svedova J, Cote JL, Sandau U, Rho JM, Kawamura M, Boison D, Masino SA. (2013). Ketogenic diet improves core symptoms of autism in BTBR mice. PloS One. 8: e65021.
- Masino SA, Kawamura M, Cote JL, Williams RB, Ruskin DN. (2013). Adenosine and autism: A spectrum of opportunities. Neuropharmacology. 68:116-121.
Honors and awards
- Aspire, Advance, and Achieve Mentoring Award, Women in Science & Engineering, University of Michigan, 2020
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2019-2020
- Travel Award, Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Michigan, 2019
- Trainee Award, Neurotrophic Mechanisms in Health and Disease, Gordon Research Conferences, 2019
- Poster Competition – 2nd Place, Michigan Nutrition Obesity Research Center Annual Symposium, University of Michigan Medical School, 2019
- Young Investigator Award, Women in Endocrinology, 2019
- Outstanding Abstract Travel Award, The Endocrine Society, 2018
- Global Research Engagement Opportunity Fellowship (to University of Edinburgh), University of Michigan Medical School, 2018
- Excellence in Service Award – Honorable Mention, Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, University of Michigan Medical School, 2018
- International Conference Travel Grant, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2017, 2019
- Graduate Student Research Grant, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2016, 2019
- Golden Key International Honor Society, University of Michigan Chapter
- Graduate Research Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2015-2018
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, University of Michigan Chapter, 2015
- Benard L. Maas Fellowship, University of Michigan Medical School, 2014
- Fulbright Research Grant, U.S. Department of State, 2013
- Honors in General Scholarship and Neuroscience (summa cum laude equivalent), 2012
- Priscilla Kehoe Neuroscience Prize, Trinity College, 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Trinity College Chapter, 2012
- Nu Rho Psi – Honor Society in Neuroscience, Trinity College Chapter, 2011
- Amgen Scholars Program, University of California, Berkeley, 06/2011-08/2011
- Summer Research Grant, Trinity College, 06/2010-08/2010
- Lisa P. Nestor Chemical Rubber Company Award, Trinity College, 2009
- Presidential Scholarship, Trinity College, 2008-2012