Graduate student, GMB curriculum
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, School of Medicine
2018 May –
Funding in the lab
2019 – 2022. National Science Foundation (NSF) predoctoral fellowship
2018-2019. MiBio (Mechanistic, interdisciplinary studies of biological systems) T32 training program (NIH-NIGMS)
6330 Medical Biomolecular Research Building
111 Mason Farm Rd., Chapel Hill, NC 27599
B.Sc., Neuroscience. University of Miami, 2013-2017
B.Sc., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. University of Miami, 2013-2017
Honors and awards
- CSHL meeting “Eukaryotic mRNA processing”, abstract selected for platform presentation, 8/2019
- National Science Foundation (NSF) predoctoral fellowship, 2019-2022
- MiBio (Mechanistic, interdisciplinary studies of biological systems) T32 training program, 2018-2019
- Symposium on RNA Biology XII: RNA Tool and Target. Best Basic RNA poster, 2017
- Symposium on RNA Biology XII: RNA Tool and Target. Travel Award, 2017
- The Graduate School at UNC Chapel Hill, Doctoral Merit Assistantship, 2017
- University of Miami, Summa Cum Laud, 2017.
- University of Miami, Sherwood Weiser Memorial Fund for Student Community Service Finalist, 2017
- University of Miami, Lois Pope Summer Research Scholarship, 2015 & 2016
- University of Miami, Beyond the Book Scholar, 2016
- National Science Foundation, Research Experience for Undergraduates, 2014
- University of Miami, Foote Fellowship, 2013-2017
- University of Miami, Gables Scholarship, 2013-2017
- University of Miami, Presidential Scholarship, 2013-2017
- National Merit Scholarship Corporation, National Merit Scholarship, 2013-2017
- University of Missouri, Distinguished Achievement Award for Excellence in Science, 2012
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Dr. Claes Wahlestedt’s laboratory, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 08/2014 – 05/2017
Summer undergraduate Research Assistant, Dr. Jianlin Chang’s Laboratory, University of Missouri Informatics Institute, 05/2014 – 07/2014
Young Scientist Scholar, Dr. William Gillander’s Laboratory, Washington University in St. Louis, 06/2012 – 09/2012
- Sartor GC, Malvezzi AM, Kumar A, Andrade NS, Wiedner HJ, Vilca SJ, Janczura KJ, Bagheri A, Al-Ali H, Powell SK, Brown PT, Volmar CH, Foster TC, Zeier Z, Wahlestedt C. (2019). Enhancement of BDNF Expression and Memory by HDAC Inhibition Requires BET Bromodomain Reader Proteins. Journal of Neurosciences, 39 (4): 612-626.
- Hinkle ER, Wiedner HJ, Black AJ, Giudice J. (2019). RNA processing in skeletal muscle biology and disease. Transcription10 (1): 1-20.
- Blue RE, Koushik A, Engels NM, Wiedner HJ, Cooper TA, Giudice J*. (2018). Modulation of alternative splicing of trafficking genes by genome editing reveals functional consequences in muscle biology. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology pii: S1357-2725(18)30227-9. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2018.10.004.
- Sartor GC, Powell SK, Velmeshev D, Lin DY, Magistri M, Wiedner HJ, Malvezzi AM, Andrade NS, Faghihi AF, Wahlestedt C. (2017) Cocaine alters Homer1 natural antisense transcript in the nucleus accumbens. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, 85: 183-9.
- Sankpal NV, Fleming TP, Sharma PK, Wiedner HJ, Gillanders WE. (2017). A double negative feedback loop between EpCAM and ERK contributes to the regulation of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cancer. Oncogene, 26: 3706-17.
- Sartor GC, Powell SK, Wiedner HJ, Wahlestedt C, Brothers SP. (2016). Nociceptin receptor activation does not alter acquisition, expression, extinction and reinstatement of conditioned cocaine preference in mice. Brain Research, 1632: 34- 41.
- Gentile GM, Wiedner HJ, Hinkle ER, Giudice J. (2020) Alternative splicing provides a broad menu of proteins for cells. The Scientist, 34 (10): 38-43.