Principal Investigator, tenure-track Assistant Professor
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, School of Medicine
McAllister Heart Institute
2016 March –
Affiliation Ph.D. programs:
6340B Medical Biomolecular Research Building
111 Mason Farm Rd., Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Education and training
Postdoctoral Fellow, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 08/2011-02/2016
– American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellow
– PEW Charitable Trusts Postdoctoral Fellow
Visiting Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Germany, 10/2008-03/2009
– European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) Short-term Fellow
Ph.D. Biological Chemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 12/2007-03/2011
– National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET Argentina), Predoctoral Fellow
M. Sc. comparable. Chemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 08/2002-03/2007
M. Ed. comparable. Chemistry Education, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 03/2001-05/2005
Selected publications [* denotes corresponding author]
- Smith JA#, Curry EG#, Blue RE#, Roden C, Dundon SER, Rodriguez-Vargas A, Jordan DC, Chen X, Lyons SM, Crutchley J, Anderson P, Horb M, Gladfelter AS*, Giudice J*. (2020) FXR1 splicing is important for muscle development and biomolecular condensates in muscle cells. Journal of Cell Biology, 219 (4): e201911129.
- Black AJ, Gamarra JR, Giudice J*. (2019). More than a messenger: alternative splicing as a therapeutic target. BBA – Gene Regulatory Mechanisms, 1862 (11-12): 194395. doi: 10.1016/j.bbagrm.2019.06.006.
- Hinkle ER, Wiedner HJ#, Black AJ#, Giudice J*. (2019). RNA processing in skeletal muscle biology and disease. Transcription,10 (1): 1-20.
- Blue RE, Koushik A, Engels N, Wiedner HJ, Cooper TA, Giudice J*. (2018). Modulation of alternative splicing of trafficking genes by genome editing reveals functional consequences in muscle biology. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology pii: S1357-2725(18)30227-9.
- RE Blue, Curry EG#, Engels NM#, Lee EY and Giudice J*. (2018). How alternative splicing affects membrane trafficking. Journal of Cell Science, 131(10): pii: jcs216465.
- Baralle FE, Giudice J*. (2017). Alternative splicing as a regulator of development and tissue identity. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, 8(7): 437-451.
- Giudice J*, Taylor JM*. (2017). Muscle as a paracrine and endocrine organ. Current Opinion in Pharmacology, 34: 49-55.
- Giudice J*, Loehr JA, Rodney GG, Cooper TA*. (2016). Alternative splicing of four trafficking genes regulates myofiber structure and skeletal muscle physiology. Cell Reports, 17 (8): 1923-33.
- Giudice J, Xia Z, Li W, Cooper TA. (2016). Neonatal cardiac dysfunction and transcriptome changes caused by the absence of Celf1. Scientific Reports, 6:35550. doi:10.1038/srep35550.
- Wang ET, Ward AJ, Cherone JM, Giudice J, Wang TT, Treacy DJ, Lambert NJ, Freese P, Saxena T, Cooper TA, Burge CB. (2015). Antagonistic regulation of mRNA expression and splicing by CELF and MBNL proteins. Genome Research, 25(6): 858-71.
- Pedrotti S, Giudice J, Dagnino-Acosta A, Knoblauch M, Mo Q, Hicks J, Hamilton S, Cooper TA. (2015). The RNA-binding protein Rbfox1 regulates adult skeletal muscle function. Human Molecular Genetics, 4 (8): 2360-74.
- Giudice J, Xia Z, Wang ET, Ruddy MA, Ward AJ, Kalsotra A, Wang W, Wehrens XHT, Burge CB, Li W, Cooper TA. (2014). Alternative splicing regulates vesicular trafficking genes in cardiomyocytes during postnatal heart development. Nature Communications, 5: 3603. doi: 10.1038/ncomms4603.
- Giudice J*, Cooper TA*. (2014). RNA-binding proteins in heart development. Adv Exp Med Biol, 825: 389-429.
- Giudice J, Jares-Erijman EA, Leskow FC. (2013). Insulin receptor membrane retention by a traceable chimeric mutant. Cell Communication and Signaling, 11(1): 45. doi: 10.1186/1478-811X-11-45.
- Giudice J, Jares-Erijman E, Leskow FC. (2013). Endocytosis and intracellular dissociation rates of human insulin-insulin receptor complexes by quantum dots in living cells. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 24(3): 431-42.
- Giudice J, Barcos LS, Guaimas FF, Penas A, Giordano L, Jares-Erijman EA, Leskow FC. (2013). Insulin and IGF-II endocytosis and signaling via insulin receptor B. Cell Communication and Signaling, 11(1): 18. doi: 10.1186/1478-811X-11-18.
- Gentile GM, Wiedner HJ, Hinkle ER, Giudice J*. (2020) Alternative splicing provides a broad menu of proteins for cells. The Scientist, 34 (10): 38-43.
Honors and awards
- American Heart Association, Career Development Award, April 2019 – March 2022
- NIH-NIGMS, R01 research grant, March 2019 – March 2024
- March of Dimes Foundation, Basil O’Connor Starter Scholar Award, April 2018 – March 2020
- NC TraCS, Pilot Grant $50K, August 2018 – July 2019
- Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC-UNC), Pilot & Feasibility Grant, April 2017 – March 2018
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Junior Faculty Development Award, calendar year 2017
- American Heart Association, Postdoctoral Fellow, July 2014 – February 2016
- Pew Charitable Trusts, Postdoctoral Fellow, July 2012 – February 2016
- European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO), Short-term Fellow, December 2008 – February 2009
- National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET – Argentina), Pre-doctoral Fellow, April 2008 – March 2011